top of page

"If you aren't breaking things, you aren't moving fast enough"

I have been building up, taking apart, tinkering, and creating things for as long as I can remember. Putting these projects through their paces never fails to reveal a new way to think, design, or solve a problem, and makes challenging new projects more achievable.

As always, much of my work is bound by NDA, but if you have any questions about my design experience and qualifications, do not hesitate to contact me.

 CPC Prison RFID iPod Docking Station
  • Designed mechatronic assembly (Fusion360) that allows prisoners to safely use/charge iPods in Prison rehabilitation programs
  • Established use strategy for assembly, installation, and maintenance in mass production
  • Fabricated prototypes to be delivered to customer (injection molding, sheet metal fabrication)
I never expected to work on theme parks in the mornings and jails in the afternoon. Unexpectedly, this project turned into one of the most thorough and rewarding I've ever done, and is the first professional product that I have helped develop from the ground up. Everything is designed for mass production, can be serviced without tools, and will eventually hang in a majority of detention centers across America. 

This system securely stores, charges, and protects iPods being integrated into prison environments for technology acclimation and communication programs. Each iPod contains an RFID tag, and the devices themselves are held in a modified case that prevents tampering with core components.  Charging units use Hall-effect motor position sensors, indicator LED's, and an embedded RFID scanner to verify which devices are in use, and a touchscreen lets the user sign in and out devices as needed. We even developed a way of charging the iPods that uses the lugs of the phone case to transfer power to the charging port. The ports can be removed and serviced without hand tools, and each cabinet can currently hold up to 10 devices.

This project challenged me as a mechanical designer, engineer, and team member. As a team, I was able to work with our electrical engineers, software experts, and clients to help turn this into a product that will change lives for the better. the challenge of removing, simplifying, and redesigning everything to be as effective and efficient as possible.
Prism Systems MicroMaker Mechanical Redesign
  • Developed custom library of modular tools, table tops, units, and kinematic hardware attachments
  • Extensively used Fusion360 CAD/CAM to run 3-axis CNC machine in hardware fabrication
  • Redesigned product architecture to ensure scalability and adequate functionality
For 4 months, I worked on a team responsible for the design and development of the MicroMaker, a modular manufacturing system that features modular stations equipped with a Yaskawa Robotic arm and full library of pre-made movement recipes, attachments, and tools for completing highly customizable tasks. Stations can be linked together and work cooperatively, and fulfill a variety of applications including pick and place, laminating, spin coating, lasercutting, and more.

The system was primarily developed by software engineers, and was in desperate need of some mechanical performance evaluation. I first redesigned the chassis, as it would flex so badly that the doors wouldn't shut if you moved it across an uneven floor. I then moved to tackling the tabletop grid, which I completely redesigned/machined to have tighter tolerances and a layout that accommodated changing tabletops without having to remove the robotic arm with a crane.

After that, I began building and designing features: magnetic coupling systems, tool changers, corner connectors that bridge the gaps between stations, and custom units like the plotter and spin-coater. The spin coater itself features a custom load/unload tray, designed in my last week of work and driven by a 3D printed dovetailed-rack and pinion.
Custom Motorized Bicycle
To keep busy during COVID-19, I decided to build an entirely custom motorized bicycle. I redesigned the frame, painted, striped, and sealed all the components, and installed a 79cc two-stroke engine. This bike was a great project, as I had plenty of mechanical and electrical issues to figure out, I eventually added a custom spring-loaded chain tensioner and upgraded the braking systems, but otherwise the bike has proved to be exceptionally reliable and fuel efficient.
To see more or discuss possible work let's talk >>
bottom of page